Sunday, October 14, 2012

Smile

Happiness makes a person smile, but sadness can break a person’s spirit. (Proverbs 15:13 NCV)

I always think of my Dad when I read this scripture.  Look at him, isnt he so handsome with that smile and waving at people?  Thats my Dad! (Mom will shoot me for putting her picture here too, but isn't she lovely?). I can remember the first time I realized how special my Dad was.  I was probably 11 or 12, and we were in a local mall at Christmas time with my Mom.   I noticed people staring, taking second glances our way, and smiling as we passed by.  Not a typical smile, but one of enjoyment.  I looked at my Dad to see if he had something on his face, or shirt as this is usually the case.  The only thing I saw was a smile that appeared to go from ear to ear.  I asked him what was so funny, and he replied, "it's fun watching people react to a smile."  He continued, "Sis, everyone looks so sad but when I give a smile most can't help but smile back.  A smile is something I can give away for free when they look so sad.  Try it."  Dad and I walked the mall that day giving away our smiles.  I got a kick out of the reactions we got.  Everything from returned smiles to looks of "what are you looking at".  It became a game to see how many smiles we could get.

Without realizing it, my Dad made a huge impact on my life that day.  He taught me the importance of sharing a smile with someone who may or may not have anything to smile about.  This also taught me that even when my circumstances are less than perfect, my joyful heart can still share a smile.  There is something special about receiving a smile back from people and it definately cheers me up.  When I give a smile and that person doesn't smile back, I can't help but think they must have a broken spirit.  This is an opportunity to ask for a blessing in their life.  We all have the ability to impact someone simply with a smile.  I challenge you to "Give a smile away".  Just as my Dad told me over 35 years ago, I say to you, "Try it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment