Monday, July 21, 2008

Stirred But Not Changed

I have surfed the net for the last hour looking for the lyrics to a song we use to sing long ago in church.  I was able to find one verse and the chorus but not the other verse.  This has been one of those songs that stay with you a while and you are unable to get it out of your head.  It is a Lanny Wolfe song and goes like this:

“Have I heard it for so long that He’s just another song?
Has the story lost its thrill that I once knew?
Lord, give me a burden that’s so strong,
That it will last when my tears are gone.
I’m tired of what I’ve been. Lord, make me over again.

I’m so tired of being stirred about the lost who need to hear.
I’m so tired of being stirred that His coming is so near; 
I’m so tired of being stirred till I cry bitter tears. 
I’m so tired of being stirred but not being changed.”


All too often we sit in our church pews/chairs and get fat on the Word of God.  We take in and take in, yet we are not willing to invite others to eat.  I really feel like God wants us to get up from His table, stop getting fat on the fruit of the land, and help harvest the field.  He wants us to change.  He is looking for people ready to change.  I don't know about you, but I am tired of being stirred and doing nothing about it.  Read  Matthew 9:36-38 Pray that you are sent to harvest the field.  

p.s. Does anyone know the words to the other verse?

8 comments:

  1. What you have is the second verse. Below is the first verse and the added chorus after the verse.

    1. Often times my heart has been stirred by the things that I have heard, 'bout so many who have never heard God's word, and though tears would fill my eyes all to soon I'd realize though my hearts been stirred my life has not been changed.

    Chorus

    2. (What you have is correct)

    Chorus

    But this time Lord change me let the work begin just now,
    this time Lord change me please change me some how,
    this time Lord change me let my life be rearranged,
    I'm so tired of being stirred but not being changed.

    I'm so tired of being stirred but not being changed.


    I hope this is helpful.

    Yours in Christ,

    Judy Wells,missionary to DR Congo, Africa

    neneinthecongo3@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karen & Judy, I was trying to find the words to "Stirred but not changed" so I searched it through "Google" and your site popped up first. I hope you don't object to a man coming into your site to retrieve these lyrics !! Thank you BOTH for providing the words. It's so sad that songs like these are trashed by today's "worshipers" for the "feel good" songs that are just a bunch of fluff. I still like songs like "Rescue the Perishing", "Throw out the lifeline", etc. Again, Thank you BOTH for providing the words.

    God Bless,
    Don Ginter, Chillicothe, Ohio, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song. I used to sing it in church many years ago and had forgotten the lyrics. Thanks to both of you for reminding all of us of a wonderful, powerful song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't thank you all enough. Lost my copy of the words, but the song has haunted me lately in the light of new ministries opening up in our church and how hard it sometimes seems to climb out of our spiritual ruts.

    Helen - Bushnell, FL

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! this was a true God thing! I had this song on my mind in and out for weeks! I needed it for a devotion--and typed in my search...and your blog came up! GLORY!!! Thank you for sharing!
    Angie Knight --Marianna, FL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like everyone else, I was searching for the words to this song after hearing a stirring sermon. These words popped into my head and I had to find them. Wish I had the sheet music.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.oldchristianmusic.com/mproductpages/marilyn%20janke%20--%20lord-change-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I So agree. I've been looking for the words, too. I just read "Kisses from Katie." Wow! Don't want to be stirred but not changed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete