Tuesday, March 17, 2009

CRASH!

There’s nothing like a car crash to wake you up! On Monday morning, at 7:40 a.m., my kids and I were in a car accident.

I was going about my normal routine. We were in the car, on the way to school. I was thinking about my day, all the things I needed to get done. Drop off Preston. Drop off Elliot. Go to school myself. Go pick up Elliot. Feed Elliot. Feed myself. Go pick up Preston. Take the kids to the dentist. I was focused on the road, with my eyes fixed straight ahead. I knew where I was going and my eyes were fixed right on my destination.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a green blur. It’s a car. It’s coming right at me. I might just get past it before….CRASH! A man had come through a stop sign and crashed right into me. Just for the record, I was not at fault in this accident. I had the right of way.

It wasn’t the way I wanted to start my day, or my week. But it was one of those things that just happen in life. I honestly don’t know if there was anything I could have done to avoid it, but as I replay the events in my mind, I realized I was in tunnel vision state. I had my eyes fixed on the road ahead. I was only concerned about myself, my kids, and where we were going. I didn’t even see the guy until he was almost in the side of my car. At that point, it was too late!

Sometimes in our spiritual life, we are the same way. We are looking to the prize. Our eyes are fixed on ourselves and our relationship with God. We have spiritual tunnel vision. We forget to scan side to side and look for that person that might be passing by.

The danger in spiritual tunnel vision is that we forget that there are other people around us who need what we have. We forget that behind a lot of the smiles that we see everyday are hurting, lost people. They are people who need hope, people who need a Savior. They might not even know it yet.

We are all called to be fishers of men. If you are a believer, you have been called to share the gospel with the lost and dying souls in our world. Jesus said, “Go to all the world. Baptize them. Teach them to observe my teachings. I will go with you as you do this. You won’t be alone.” (a paraphrase of Matthew 28:19-20)

So here’s the honest truth about the crash. Had I been scanning side to side as they teach you in drivers’ training, I might have avoided the accident. I might have avoided the hassle of a rental car, repairs, insurance, police reports, not to mention the stress of it all. But I did re-learn to scan as I drive. I learned not to become so focused that I forget to look around. It took a crash to shake me out of my tunnel vision. Thank God for His protection! No one was hurt!

Don’t get to that point. Don’t become so self absorbed in your walk, that you forget that there are others around you who need what you have. Yes, keep your eye on the prize (Philippians 3:14), but don’t forget your call to share your Savior with the world. I hope it doesn’t take a crash to wake you up out of your spiritual tunnel vision.

Father, you have been so good to me. Your hand is on my life, and I am so thankful for Your protection. Forgive me for all the times that I neglect my call to share Your love with the world. Let my heart be obedient to the leading of Your Spirit. Lead me and guide me as I walk towards the prize. Give me Your eyes to see the needs of those who are around me everyday. Give me the boldness to share Your truth with them. I thank you for saving me. Salvation is my greatest treasure and it’s a treasure that I can share with others. I love you Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts. Nothing like a crash in your life to speak a truth into you, thats for sure. I was thinking as I was reading this too, that if we are not driving defensively (reading the Word, praying, worshiping) then the unexpected collision can have a dramatic impact on our day/week/month/year. So glad you are all okay and keep the writing up. You challenge me.

    ReplyDelete